Yorkshire CD books
Old and rare Yorkshire books on CDrom
"Ilkley Ancient and Modern"
by The Rev. R. Collyer & J Horsfall Turner
CD ROM version
Price £12 post paid to your door,
produced by Colin Hinson ©
anywhere in the world
For sample pages
, please see the links to the Acrobat (pdf) files given below.
The data on this CD rom is computer searchable.
"Ilkley: Ancient and Modern " was written by Rev. Robert Collyer D.D. and John Horsfall Turner, and published in 1885. The book contains over 400 pages, along with 80 illustrations. There is no index, but this is compensated for by the book being machine searchable.
The following are available to help you ascertain the contents of the book:
The above Acrobat file was extracted from the CDrom and shows the quality of the images. You will need at least version 5 of Acrobat to open this file. If you do not have an up to date version please go to the Adobe web-site to obtain a free version of Acrobat Reader.
A review of the book by Angela Petyt:
'Ilkley Ancient and Modern' is a detailed chronological and natural history of the famous moor and spa town from prehistory to the Victorian period. Within this are some absolute gems for the family historian, including -
Poll tax list for 1379 for Ilkley and neighbourhood, with analysis of families and occupations
- Extracts from manor court rolls from the 14th-16th centuries
- Extracts from parish registers from the 16th-18th centuries
- Extracts from the Churchwardens' accounts from the 17th century
- Lists of Churchwardens, Overseers and Highway Surveyors from the 17th and 18th centuries
- Pew owners in the parish church in 1786
- Extracts from directories of 1822 and 1829 listing tradespeople
- List of subscribers ( a 'who's who' of Late-Victorian Ilkley society and further afield)
Best of all are the pedigrees and histories of not only the prominent families of Middleton, Plumpton and Margerison, but also of many other local families, making this book an indispensable source for those with Ilkley ancestors.
The attractive illustrations add to the appeal of this fascinating and informative book.
Angela Petyt, January 2005
List of contents of "Ilkley: Ancient and Modern"
- PART I.
- Chapter I.—LLECAN
- Chapter I I.—OLICANA
- Chapter III.—SAXON TIMES
- Chronicles. Commentary. Crosses.
- Chapter IV.-NORMAN TIMES
- Percy. Kyme. Dapifer. Heslarton. Plesyngton Pedigree.
- Chapter V.—PLANTAGENET PERIOD
- Social Condition. Bolton Abbey. Scotch Invasion. Black Death.
- Chapter VI.—MIDDLETON-WITH-STUBHAM
- Chapter VII.—PLUMPTON CHARTERS
- Chapter VII—Continued. THE PLUMPTONS
- Chapter VIII.—MANOR COURT RECORDS :
- Stubham and Middleton
- Chapter IX.-HOLLING HALL
- Hexham Priory. Kyghley. Maude, Heber, Currer, Morley ; with Pedigrees.
- Chapter X.-THE CHURCH
- Flexthorpe, Malherbe, Askeby, Cottinghams.
- NESSFIELD MANOR CHAPEL. HEXHAM. MERYNG.
- Thorpe, Garmouth, White, Barton, Harper, Jenkynson, Wardall, Cronell, Mydhop,
Pulleyne, Wilson, Carr, Rawood, Cockeson, Snell, Hodgson,
Coates, Hustler, Dawson, Rhodes, Lister, Travers, Beeston,
Chapman, Benson, Holdsworth, Clarke, (Fenton), Snowdon, Downer.
- BRASSES. WINDOWS. DESCRIPTIVE.
- Chapter XI.—THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL
- Chapter XlI.—PARISH BOOKS
- Registers. Town's Books. Doles. Burials in Woollen. Briefs.
Indentures. Sedbergh Lands. Popish Recusants. Churchwardens.
Overseers. Surveyors. Stubham Lodge Inventory.
- Chapter XIII.-ILKLEY FAMILIES
- Principal Notices :—Waite, Cromack, Cunliffe, Bolling, Lofthouse,
Stead, Anderson, Watkinson, Lawson, Witton, Longfellow, Pettyt,
Lister, Nesfield, Brigge, Jennings, Hawksworth, Beeston, Pryor,
Mauleverer, Ferrand, Boynton, Batty, Clapham, Beanlands, Foljambe,
Holmes, Heber, Kighley, Marshall, Mann, Midgley, Mawde, Margerison, Oates, Percy, Rushforth, Scalwray, Swyer, Snell, Job Senior,
Teale, Thackwray, Vavasour, Ward, Wharton, Yates. Benefactors.
Voters. Pew-owners. Robert Collyer. John Dobson.
- Chapter XIV. -MODERN ILKLEY
- Old Wells. Statistics. Transitional. Hydropathy. Annals. Roman
Relics. Topography. Sedbergh School (Chantry) Property. Folk
Lore. Ilkley Bridge. Middelton Lodge. Catholic Chapel. Nesfield.
John Prior. Bibliography.
- PART II.
- IV.—BRITISH OR PREHISTORIC
- INSERTED PEDIGREES :—Middelton, Plumpton, Margerison.
List of Illustrations.
- Dr. Collyer
- Ilkley Crosses
- Old Myddelton Lodge
- Old Ilkley
- Old Parsonage
- Rev. J. Snowdon
- Coats of Arms (Six)
- J. & E. Margerison
- Coats of Arms (Six)
- John Dobson
- Rockwood House Hydropathic Establishment
- Roman Gravestone
- Middleton Old Houses
- Geological Map
- Roman Altar
- Group, or Family
- Three Crosses
- Fragment of Cross
- Percy Badge
- Middleton Tomb
- Lord Thomas Fairfax
- Holling Hall
- Heber Brasses
- Coates Brass
- Beeston Brass
- Watkinson Pew
- Bolling Brass
- Lawson Brass
- Grammar School
- Mauleverer Brass
- Clapham Arms
- Hodgson Brasses (Two)
- Old Ben Rhydding
- White House, Old Wells
- New Ben Rhydding
- Wells House
- Congregational Church
- Triple Vessel
- Ilkley, 1827
- Top of Brook Street
- Down Brook Street
- Myddelton Lodge
- Mile Post
- Ben Rhydding
- Earthwork (Two)
- Urns (Three)
- Cow and Calf
- Ben Rhydding Glen
- Circle of Stones
- Rock Carvings
If you would prefer the real book(s), please contact The Idle Booksellers through their website.
Page last updated at 22.17 on Friday, 14 October 2016, by Colin Hinson. ©2010
(This page will not be updated again unless the information on it is found to be incorrect).
For the latest update date for the site, please see our Home Page.